Prerequisites and Conditions for Potential Buyers
What I’m looking for in potential puppy homes is based not only on the living environment you can/will provide, but also how this breed will fit into your life. These are some of the things you need to consider, before committing to this breed:
1. You have read the breed standard, and understand the temperament, exercise demands, training, and lifelong care.
2. Have you considered whether you can afford the lifetime expenses of the pup (housing/food/dog classes/vet bills)?
*The purchase price is just a small portion of the expenses of raising, living with, and enjoying a pup for his or her lifetime.
3. You have owned/lived with/trained dogs in your adult life.
*This is not a breed for first time dog owners.
4. Have you lived with and trained any terrier, working breed, or a related mix?
*This breed does best with vigorous exercise.
*They have a strong will and can be manipulative.
*Manners/obedience training is a must throughout the pup’s life.
*Training should be done in a firm, consistent, patient manner.
5. This breed is not a small Dobermann Pinscher. They are more energetic, more aloof, and have maintained their
original breed purpose (to hunt and dig out rodents).
*This breed has a strong prey drive. They need to be able to dig and hunt for the vermin they were bred to catch.
*They need daily physical exercise – a simple stroll around the block will not do.
*They are very intelligent, like the Dobermann, but not always willing to do your bidding. Consistent training is key.
6. Do you have a safe, fenced yard? Do you have procedures in place so the pup isn’t in danger and is kept under your
*They have a guarding/protective nature.
*They will bark if something is new/different in their environment – early socialization is essential.
7. Have you considered or are you planning on doing any dog sports?
*This isn’t a firm requirement, but it is something your pup would excel at and you might enjoy as well.
*Whether or not you choose to participate in competitive dog sports, it cannot be overstated:
OBEDIENCE TRAINING IS MANDATORY!
8. Does your household have other pets/ children/adults? You need to consider how the put will fit in with everyone.